Long Island Masonry Contractors and What You Should Know Before Hiring One
Hiring a masonry contractor on Long Island can be easy!
Professional masons are trained to work with a variety of natural stone materials, including natural stone pavers for driveways, walkways and patios. However, not all masons on Long Island have the same experience and talent so it’s important to do thorough research before making a final decision.
Here are some important questions you should ask a potential Long Island masonry contractor.
1. Are you certified, licensed and insured? It’s important make sure any potential hire is certified, licensed and insured. Also, depending where you live, masons may also be required to a have a general contractor license.
2. Do you have experience working with all natural stone materials? Like other professions and industries, Long Island masonry contractors have specialties. For example, not every mason is able to work with all natural stone.
3. Are you experienced in cutting and laying patterns? There is a difference between just laying pavers and laying patterns. You may have something specific you want, including various types of stones or brick combined.
4. How long will the project take? Be sure to have a good plan in place. Getting an idea of how long your project will take can help avoid any potential problems.
5. What do I need to do before you start the work? Some masons will expect you to do some prep work before they begin the project. See if you will need to make any preparations to speed up the process.
6. Do you have any local references? Check examples of their previous work and talk to previous clients to confirm their satisfaction with the work the mason provided. Ask if the work was completed in a timely and professional manner.
7. May I see your license and insurance? Anyone can say they are insured or have a business license. Be sure they show proof that it is current.
8. How much will the total project cost? The cost is the most important part of any project, as well as the terms in which it is to be paid. Hold the final payment until you are completely satisfied with the work.
9. Who will secure all of the materials needed for the job? Quality is a major factor in costs of materials. Securing your own materials is not always the best option. Consult with the mason to be sure you know what you are getting.
10. What is your cleanup process once the project is completed? You want the contract to specify the mason’s responsibility for cleaning up once the job is complete.
Gappsi is the premier masonry contractor on Long Island, NY for over 25 years. Be sure to call us for a consultation at (631) 543-1177.